Thursday, June 16, 2011

I'm being looked after, and not just by God.

I broke down in the middle of the card aisle today in Walmart. The boys and I were picking out cards to send to Pete for Father's Day when Caden asked me to read what the Spiderman card said. I didn't make it through the first sappy sentence before I couldn't see the words anymore through the tears. I miss him so much it literally hurts. Every. Single. Day. I don't know how military wives do it. I don't know how single wives do it. I don't even know how mob wives do it! Please don't hold my TV viewing preferences again me. The worst part is that I don't know when he'll be home. I don't know when the boys will get to see their daddy again. I don't know when the next time I crawl into bed without feeling scared will be. I just don't know...

The other morning Kyle woke me up when he came into my room crying. Every mom will tell you that kids have different cries. Hurt cries. Tired cries. Angry cries. Cries that aren't really cries at all...This cry was his legitimately upset cry. Something had happened to make him truly distraught. Normally when he's crying like this he's either wet the bed, had a bad dream or Caden has done something to hurt him. So when he came in and I asked him what was wrong, I fully expected to be told that he had peed his bed. What I didn't expect was for him to say, "I miss my daddy!" When something happens to upset my kids that I can't fix my normal response, "Oh honey, come here." And then they get a big hug and a back rub...

Today in Walmart Kyle asks me, "Mommy are you crying?" And I answered that I was. So then Caden asks, "Why?" And I tell them that I miss their daddy. Kyle then holds out his arms and says, "Come here, mommy." My three year old then gave me a big hug and rubbed my back.

My five year old told me it was going to be okay.

So, even though I don't have my husband right now, I clearly have two little men who are looking out for me and I can't help but feel like one of the luckiest woman alive.

1 comment:

pete said...

They're obeying my orders totake care of you!